Tabs

21.3.11

My anniversary surprise!

I had the BEST weekend ever!
Last year, some really cheap flights came up with Jetstar and I just couldn't resist....... $45 to go to Sydney.  But I had to think of an excuse to go to Sydney that suited the conditions (dates available) and it just so happened.... that the dates coincided with our wedding anniversary! voila!
Mark really admires Matt Moran  (the chef from Masterchef) so I also booked a table at his restaurant.
The plane ride was awful and I have decided that I do have an abnormal fear of flying! I think I nearly broke poor Mark's thumb I bent it back so hard! (need to work on my self calming techniques!)
We caught a train to Circular Quay and had brekki with a terrific view of the bridge (it was raining ....well throwing it down actually!)  but who cared! not us!


Our hotel was just a 4 minute walk and when we got there, they upgraded us to a Harbour View room (yee har) I was so excited! they asked if we were in Sydney for anything special and  when I told them and they sent up a bottle of red! so I was even happier! lol  How awesome is that view?!?!?
We went exploring the markets and I could have spent a LOT more time (and money) if Mark wasn't there!
Great market with FABULOUS handmade items but GB (grumpy bum) kept hurrying me up! The rain never let up so we had to buy an umbrella! then we made our way to the Rocks to see just where Aria was from the hotel.
Explored the Opera House
Mark wouldn't turn around for a photo (GB) I haven't been up those stairs for 25 years! still looks fabulous and there was heaps going on! As it was wine o'clock we decided to pass a couple of hours soaking up the sun! (well the brief respite from the rain) at the Opera House bar and shared a plate of dips for lunch.


hehehehe Mark couldn't believe I was taking a pic of the dips! you just have to document it all! Those dips would have to go down as my FAV so far! and we are working our way through Australia!  It was so nice to just sit and people watch, chat and not have a care in the world!

When we got to the restaurant, we were shown to the BEST table in the place it had the most magical view!!! (I suppose that is what happens when you book 7 months in advance!) we were second table on the left!!!

hehehehe before you think I was a bogan and taking pics in the restuarant......... (thought about it) I took this pic from the website!
while we were deciding on the wine, Matt Moran stood and chatted to the people on the table beside us! I nearly peed myself! he posed for a photo with them and I said to Mark I am so getting a photo (just happened to have my baby in my handbag.....) but a stupid PA/waitress dragged him away! :(
The meal was everything we'd hoped for! It was simply divine we had the scallops for entree spiced and roasted with a salad of heirloom carrots, young coconut and a coriander and yoghurt dressing and Mark had   roasted fillet and cheek of beef with celeriac puree, roasted onions and Bordelaise sauce and I had roasted breast of pasture fed chicken with ‘mac and cheese’, mushrooms, leeks and turnips and we shared some Truffled potato mash (just C & pasted that lol)
and just because we didn't want it to end, we both had the raspberry soufflé with white chocolate ripple ice cream and they wrote this little message on the plate awwww! :)

During dinner, there was a spectacular light show with the the Opera House as the backdrop. It was just brilliant.  I didn't want to start clicking away in the restaurant so I waited until I was outside and I was happy with a few of them.

we walked back to our hotel thoroughly exhausted and unbelievable full!
Just in time too as the heavens opened up again!
I took these two from our hotel room and I haven't edited (well just lightened a little) how magnificent!
Aside from the AWFUL plane ride ( my problem though) We had the most enjoyable time!

 

4 comments:

Year 2 said...

What a wonderful surprise! Glad you had a great time! That flight from Melb to Syd is always a bit EEK!!!

Mel said...

Oh Ange, wow where to start, first excellent about the fares and that it coincided then had to laugh re: would of bought more if hubby hadn't been there lol this is so honest and true.....I do remember those days and oh wow I think how much I would love to go to Aria and the food you ate, oh wow, and the happy anniversary sentiment, how cute. Your apartment looked great and oh yeah did you get Matt's autograph and the other question was the restaurant packed, I like him too. I am in envy of your wonderful trip. Melxx

ruth said...

What an amazing anniversary!!! It looks like you had a grand time!

Debbie said...

Happy belated Anniversary!!!! Looks like you both had a great time!!!!